I’m thrilled out of my blogger mind for two reasons: One, a dear and adorable friend of mine nominated my blog for the Liebster Award. And two, “Liebster” is a German word, so you know it’s already cool.
What’s the Liebster Award: “Liebster” is German, meaning “the kindest, sweetest, best” and other nice words ending with an -est. It’s an award given by bloggers to bloggers to keep up morale and show appreciation to others in the blogosphere.
Biggest thanks to sweet Hayley Bigham at Hayley Bigham Designs for the nomination! If you’re interested in creative graphic design (one of her designs has been my phone’s background for months), spontaneous DIY projects that make you wish you had more talent in every facet of your life, stories about living in Tulsa, Oklahoma, or having a friend who will encourage you to treat your body well, then do subscribe to her blog immediately. One of my top favorite posts from her deals with the realities of working from home, which you can read right away – 10 Truths of Working from Home – and another favorite is about the time she and her husband went, “Hmm… bedroom remodel?” at like, midnight, and before I knew it she had a newly remodeled, envy-inducing bedroom. It’s so pretty it hurts – Master Bedroom Reno – Final Reveal
As is the case with most awards (I think… I didn’t win a lot in school), there are rules! Nominees have to answer 10 questions asked by the nominators, which is great because I love questions, and Hayley asked some good ones, so here we go:
(Liebster Award rules and questions below)
1. What encouraged you to start blogging?
Remember Xanga? That’s where I got my start, as unfortunate as that is (so much teenage angst). But I remember starting it because I needed an outlet for the stories and thoughts in my head. Ever since I was young I’ve had a habit of writing in my head, no matter where I am or what I’m doing. I’m always writing. Pen to paper was and is helpful in some regard, but typing allows me to get it out and fast. When Xanga died (R.I.P.), I took a break for several years, but I think it was my engagement that spurred me on to blogging again. Simply too many stories to keep to myself.
2. How did you come up with your blog name or logo (if your blog is apart of your business)?
How apropos! I just changed my blog name. Using my name as my blog name may seem like a cop-out, but I wrestled with the decision for a long time. I know or follow so many bloggers with incredibly creative blog names, I wanted to follow suit. But the more I thought about it, the more I felt limited by the titles I manifested. I didn’t want to be known for blogging about a specific topic – only mom stuff, only Vienna stuff, only self-deprecating stories from my life – so I went with my name to give myself permission to write about it all.
3. What do you enjoy most about your blog?
I enjoy the ability to share my life with others. I enjoy the hope of my experiences being a resource for someone who may need anything from a good laugh to tips on dealing with culture shock.
4. Where do you hope to see your blog in 2 years?
I hope to see the design of it finally done. I’m never satisfied with the look but I’d definitely like to be. More importantly, I hope to have written on a wider range of topics, some more serious than others, in order to reach a broader audience and begin new conversations.
5. What do you like to do with your free time?
Define “free time”.
If I get a moment, I usually write or nap. And if my husband or a friend is able to stay home with the babes, then I head to my favorite cafe in Vienna to drink a hazelnut latte, alone, while it’s still hot and hasn’t been microwaved 8 times in 2 hours.
6. What inspires you?
My writing is inspired by what I see, the people I talk to, the places I go. I’m inspired to write by my readers. I love writing for them and hearing or reading about their reactions to the latest post. They’re my fuel.
7. Do you have a pet and if so what kind?
No, no pets for us. I have enough human poop to clean up daily without having to worry about some fuzzball adding to the load (pun absolutely intended).
8. Is there a skill that you want to learn?
It would be super if I knew how to design a room. What do I do with all this blank space? How do I best utilize the walls for storage? How do I DIY my bedroom without wanting to smash something? These are questions to which I need answers and… I have none.
9. Coffee or Tea?
Coffee. Always coffee.
10. Where is your dream destination?
Anywhere not cold and not Colorado.
Here are the rules of the award:
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog.
- Share the award on your blog. (Include the image above or find your own.)
- Answer the 10 questions asked of you.
- Ask 10 questions to 10 new nominees who have less than 300 followers. (Might have to guess the follower count on this one.)
- Notify the bloggers you have nominated by leaving them a comment on their blog.
10 questions for nominees:
- Why did you get into blogging?
- What is your favorite subject to write about?
- Do you have a favorite post from your archives? Why is it your favorite?
- What time of the day do you write best?
- What’s your ideal writing atmosphere?
- What do you enjoy reading?
- Who influences your writing the most?
- If you had a day to yourself void of responsibility, what would it look like?
- Aside from writing, what’s a favorite hobby of yours?
- What is one goal you’ve set for your blog this year?
Thanks again to Hayley for the nomination, and thanks as always to all of you for reading and sharing your own experiences with me. I wouldn’t write for anyone else.